Here are some significant developments:
- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration authorized two revisions to Moderna’s coronavirus vaccine, allowing it to provide additional doses from each vial.
- Virginia will expand coronavirus vaccine eligibility to everyone age 16 and over who lives or works in the state by April 18, Gov. Ralph Northam announced Thursday.
- A new government report says the United States spent $162 million getting Gilead’s covid-19 drug remdesivir to market but opted against seeking government patents because Gilead invented the experimental medicine years earlier.
- Peter Navarro urged then-president Donald Trump to acquire critical medical supplies in the early days of the outbreak — and after the warning was ignored, pursued an ad hoc billion-dollar strategy that has since prompted multiple probes.
- More than 30 million cases have been reported domestically, while the total number of fatalities in the United States reached 553,000. Nearly 100 million people have received at least one dose of a coronavirus vaccine in the United States.